We are now accepting applications for the 31st Annual Morningside Summer Institute! Sign up today!
Attend weeks 1 and 2
July 12-23, 2021
Each morning, you’ll complete a practicum in one of our reading, writing, math, or content skills summer school classrooms. First, you’ll observe Morningside’s expert teachers in action. As you learn more about MMGI in our afternoon workshops, you’ll have the opportunity to teach with direction from the classroom teacher, and in-session coaching from our highly skilled MSI coaches: Deb Brown, Drew Bulla, and Andrew Kieta.
MMGI workshops teach the 7 main aspects of MMGI, including
(1) Initial instruction, including Direct Instruction and other methods that conform to Tom Gilbert’s Mathetics
(2) Practice to fluency with celeration, focusing on Precision Teaching
(3) We also devote three afternoon workshops to the best reading, math, and writing curricula to implement with MMGI.
Attend week 3
July 26-30, 2021
(4) Application, focusing on reinforcer sampling and establishing operations that promote real-world application of the facts, concepts, principles, skills and strategies that the teacher directly taught.
(5) Introduction to John Dewey’s Reflective Thinking
(6) How to design and sequence instruction to promote generativity. Instruction in generativity teaches students how to figure out how to do something that they have not been directly taught, based upon what they have been taught. Generativity procedures include our well-known reasoning technology, Talk Aloud Problem Solving (TAPS).
(7) How and when to probe their learners for evidence of generative behavior. Generativity probes assess whether students can engage in the upcoming lessons without instruction.
(8) Introduction to Instructional Design
MSI participants will continue their morning practicum. In the afternoon, participants can choose to attend workshops on the above topics, or add an additional practicum in an afternoon class. Everyone must attend the first two weeks in order to be eligible for participation in the third week.
How much does it cost?
Attend both Week 1 and Week 2 – cost is $2800 total
Add Week 3 – cost is $3800 total
Morningside Summer Institute participants can add a two-day follow up coaching and consulting visit from Morningside Teachers’ Academy instructors at a discounted rate of $2000.
*A deposit of $1000 is required within 30 days of submitting an application. If you are applying for a graduate scholarship, no deposit is required until scholarship decisions have been made.
Do I qualify for a scholarship?
4-5 slots are reserved for graduate students who devote the majority of their time to graduate studies, and who make little to no income except graduate program stipends. Some proportional scholarships are available to graduate students working full-time.
Please submit the following: CV, one or more letters of recommendation from professors, and an essay on how MSI advances your professional goals. Final decisions regarding scholarship occur in early June.
What are my options for lodging?
Morningside Academy is located in downtown Seattle, WA, where plentiful lodging options abound. Morningside Academy is fortunate to be able to provide affordable lodging at Cornish College of the Arts. Lodging is in a state-of-the-art, modern dormitory located directly next door to Morningside Academy. A limited number of reservations are available and will be given on a first come, first serve basis. A number of rooms are reserved for graduate students applying for Summer Institute scholarships. If interested, please indicate on your Summer Institute application.
How do I apply?