The 40th Annual Morningside Summer Institute is going virtual! Sign up today!
Attend weeks 1 and 2
July 6-17, 2020
Each morning (9:15 AM -12:15 PM PDT), you’ll complete a practicum in one of our remote reading, writing, math, or content summer school classrooms for children. (Morningside’s summer school is also going remote!) First, you’ll observe Morningside’s expert teachers in action. As you learn more about MMGI in our afternoon workshops, you’ll have the opportunity to teach with direction from the classroom teacher, and in-session coaching from our highly skilled MSI coaches: Deb Brown, Drew Bulla, and Andrew Kieta.
MMGI workshops teach the 7 main aspects of MMGI, including
(1) Initial instruction, including Direct Instruction and other methods that conform to Tom Gilbert’s Mathetics
(2) Practice to fluency with celeration, focusing on Precision Teaching
(3) We also devote three afternoon workshops to the best reading, math, and writing curricula to implement with MMGI.
Attend week 3
July 20-24, 2020
(4) Application, focusing on reinforcer sampling and establishing operations that promote real-world application of the facts, concepts, principles, skills and strategies that the teacher directly taught.
(5) Introduction to John Dewey’s Reflective Thinking
(6) How to design and sequence instruction to promote generativity. Instruction in generativity teaches students how to figure out how to do something that they have not been directly taught, based upon what they have been taught. Generativity procedures include our well-known reasoning technology, Talk Aloud Problem Solving (TAPS).
(7) How and when to probe their learners for evidence of generative behavior. Generativity probes assess whether students can engage in the upcoming lessons without instruction.
(8) Introduction to Instructional Design
MSI participants will continue their morning practicum. In the afternoon, participants can choose to attend workshops on the above topics, or add an additional practicum in an afternoon class. Everyone must attend the first two weeks in order to be eligible for participation in the third week.
NEW FOR 2020: Add a 4th week!
July 27-31, 2020
This is a brand new option for 2020. Participants will continue their morning practicum. and add or extend an afternoon practicum.
Morning Sessions: 9:15 AM – 12:15 PM PDT
Afternoon Sessions: 12:45 PM – 3:45 PM PDT
How much does it cost?
Attend both Week 1 and Week 2 – cost is $2400 total
Add Week 3 – cost is $3200 total
NEW! Add Week 4 for only $400 more (Total cost: $3600).
Morningside Summer Institute participants can add a two-day follow up coaching and consulting visit from Morningside Teachers’ Academy instructors at a discounted rate of $1500/day.
*A deposit of $1000 is required within 30 days of submitting an application. If you are applying for a graduate scholarship, no deposit is required until scholarship decisions have been made.
Do I qualify for a scholarship?
4-5 slots are reserved for graduate students each year. Please submit the following: CV, one or more letters of recommendation from professors, and an essay on how MSI advances your professional goals. Final decisions regarding scholarship occur in early June.
How do I apply?