We’re now accepting applications for the 2023 Morningside Summer Institute!
Every summer, Morningside welcomes teachers, school administrators, school psychologists, graduate students, and all manner of professionals interested in behavioral education to learn all about the Morningside Model of Generative Instruction. Join us for an unforgettable experience!
Weeks 1 and 2: July 17-28, 2023
Every morning, MSI participants engage in a practicum, in which they serve as teaching assistants in one of our reading, writing or math summer school classrooms for children. They receive direction from the classroom teacher, as well as in-classroom coaching from our highly skilled MSI professional consultants.
Every afternoon, participants attend workshops that teach the Morningside Model of Generative Instruction (MMGI).
MMGI workshops teach the 7 main aspects of MMGI, including:
(1) Introduction to Instructional Design.
(2) Initial instruction, including Direct Instruction and other methods that conform to Tom Gilbert’s Mathetics.
(3) Practice to fluency with celeration, focusing on Precision Teaching.
(4) Application, focusing on reinforcer sampling and establishing operations that promote real-world application of the facts, concepts, principles, skills and strategies that the teacher directly taught.
(5) How to design and sequence instruction to promote generative responding. Instruction in generative responding teaches students how to figure out how to do something that they have not been directly taught, based upon what they have been taught. Generative responding procedures include our well-known reasoning technology, Talk Aloud Problem Solving (TAPS).
(6) How and when to probe their learners for evidence of generative behavior. Generativity probes assess whether students can engage in the upcoming lessons without instruction.
(7) We also devote three afternoon workshops to the best reading, math, and writing curricula to implement with MMGI.
Week 3: July 31-August 4, 2023
MSI participants will continue their morning practicum. Afternoon sessions will focus on topics in instructional design or an additional practicum in an afternoon class. Everyone must attend the first two weeks in order to be eligible for participation in the third week.
How much does it cost?
Weeks 1 & 2 = $2800 | Weeks 1-3 = $3800
Add a two-day follow up coaching and consulting visit from a Morningside Teachers’ Academy instructor at a discounted rate of $2000!
*A deposit of $1000 is required within 30 days of submitting an application. If you are applying for a graduate scholarship, no deposit is required until scholarship decisions have been made. Payment plans available.
New for 2023: 2023 MSI International Tuition Rates
Do I qualify for a scholarship?
4-5 slots are reserved for graduate students who devote the majority of their time to graduate studies, and who make little to no income except graduate program stipends. Some proportional scholarships are available to graduate students working full-time.
Please submit the following: CV, one or more letters of recommendation from professors, and an essay on how MSI advances your professional goals. Final decisions regarding scholarship occur in early June.
What are my options for lodging?
Morningside Academy is located in downtown Seattle, WA, where plentiful lodging options abound. Morningside Academy is fortunate to be able to provide affordable lodging at Cornish College of the Arts. Lodging is in a state-of-the-art, modern dormitory located directly next door to Morningside Academy. A limited number of reservations are available and will be given on a first come, first serve basis. A number of rooms are reserved for graduate students applying for Summer Institute scholarships. If interested, please indicate on your Summer Institute application.
Cornish College lodging rates for 2023 are not yet available. Click the link below to learn about 2022 rates and more lodging information.
How do I apply?
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Contact Dr. Kent Johnson or Andrew Kieta